Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cinderella Stories

I think that today, there are more variations on the story of Cinderella than any other fairytale. And being a lover of old fashioned stories (Sense and Sensibility, Little Women, etc.) and fairytales (Disney or otherwise), I have read or watched my share of Cinderella stories. I think it is fair to say that I have two favourites thus far; one is a book, the other a movie.



Ever After is a fabulous movie in which they depict the true story of Cinderella, or rather Danielle, a young girl who gets caught up in a lie while trying to save one of the other servants. This lie leads her to meet the prince and an epic love story ensues. 



The movie is filled with funny moments and of course, the teary eyed I-can't-believe-he-did-that-what-a-jerk moments. And I know some people aren't a fan of Drew but this is definitely one of her better roles. I watched it the other day and I just want to watch it again. It is that good!




Ella Enchanted is a fantastic children's book (9-12) written by Gail Carson Levine. It is about a young girl burdened by a horrible curse placed upon her by the fairy Lucinda at birth; the "gift" of obedience. The young girl meets the Prince Charmont after her mother dies and over time, their friendship blooms. 

Filled with the mystical (well more than the typical versions), you meet and learn about ogres, fairies, elves, and many more. If you like this one, check out her other books (not Cinderella-y but still great), especially The Two Princesses of Bamarre. There is also a movie base on Ella Enchanted, featuring Anne Hatheway. It is very different from the book, but still pretty good.


Any other suggestions of good Cinderella stories? Or other stories, for that matter.

1 comment: